Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

Cannolis - getting better each day

 

Having lived just outside of New York City for several years I had access to some of the best restaurants and bakeries available.  Being the particular type of person I am, I often over criticize myself and my cooking, comparing it to those foods I used to eat on a regular basis.  Recipes for products at farmers market are tried, if they pass my critical palette then I allow my husband to try them.  After he tries them then I try to get one more person to try them before I allow them to go on the table for sale.  My most recent baking adventure includes cannolis. 

I am fairly confident in my pastry shells, although I know that I will no longer be substituting a red wine for a white anytime soon, but the filling is still a work in progress.  Many people know that the base for a cannoli filling is ricotta cheese.  While I have managed to get mine fairly smooth, "I" can still taste the ricotta consistency.  Last week we tried them at the market for the first time and they went over pretty well.  I was disappointed with my candied citrus zest, but DH told me that it was fine and I gave it shot anyway.

This week I will be trying chocolate chip cannolis and perhaps even some plain cannoli filling inside of a chocolate dipped cannoli shell.  We'll see how much time I have before we go to market tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment