Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade bread can be taken for granted

It becomes very easy to take things for granted.  When I lived in Connecticut, I took for granted that I could get a pizza delivered to the house at one o’clock in the morning.  I also took for granted that that pizza was going to be a thin, New York style pizza with fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil with marinara sauce that did not come directly out of a can.
When I moved back to Vermont I realized that I would be giving up some of these conveniences in order to live in a rural setting with fresh air, no traffic and the opportunity to see more than two stars each night.
Now that I have been making fresh wholesome meals for me and my family, I had taken for granted the sheer delic-ee-ousity of homemade bread.  I make bread twice or three times a month for DH and I.  Additionally I make cookies, rolls, pies, cakes, etc. as need or desire warrant.  This weekend I had made fresh bread for the week and tried a new recipe for crusty rolls (like the kind I could get at any deli in Fairfield County, CT or Westchester County, NY; but you can’t find anywhere in VT). 
While we were waiting for the rest of dinner to cook, DH and I broke into the still warm loaf of wheat bread resting on the counter.  I had taken for granted how fantastically delicious a slice of warm, fresh baked bread with a slab of butter can be.
I ended up eating less dinner and I now have to make more bread for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment