Thursday night I headed out to the greenhouse. The days are getting longer and I was determined to get the first board for the raised bed put in before darkness closed in. There is no power out there. I grabbed the drill - the Phillips head bit was missing and in its place was a sap tapping bit. I looked around and couldn't find it. Back inside to where I knew I last left the extra bits I bought last fall for such projects - they weren't where they were supposed to be either. Back outside to where Peter found himself inside the pigs fence with a 500 plus pound boar. A forty pound dog doesn't stand a chance! Rescue the dog, DH comes out and finds the bit, not where it was supposed to be. Grab the drill, head for the greenhouse through blowing snow and ice pellets, get inside - no wood. Back outside - all the wood was frozen to the ground. Back to the garage, slam the battery back into the charger, yell at the dog for eating chicken poop. The greenhouse project didn't get started on Thursday night. Was it last week I said something about TWICE AS MUCH TIME!!
Saturday I had a lot planned, both on and off the farm, including working on the greenhouse. By the time I was back at the farm and ready to start that project, the weather turned south in a hurry. I managed to move most of the wood I would need into the greenhouse so the snow and ice would have a chance to melt. The weather had moderated earlier this week so it only took a hammer to free it from the frozen ground beneath. This is what it the inside of the greenhouse looked like on Saturday. You can see the snow covered wood in the lower left corner.
Sunday morning, I had hoped to sleep late. I was up early, stayed up late and up in the middle of the night almost everyday this week. The stars had not aligned and I did not get to sleep late. Not sure exactly what time it was, Little man hollering at the dog two inches from my ear did not make great sleeping conditions. I was up, got breakfast, sorted laundry, drank coffee, checked the internet and made plans for the day. I hadn't checked the clock when I headed outside, collected the drill, with a fully charged battery, the correct drill bit and the box of screws and headed to the greenhouse.
Most of the day I managed to work out there between sledding with Little man and a pretty good lunch of sandwiches and soup cooked by DH. After lunch I headed back out in hopes of getting a lot more accomplished. Unfortunately after a yummy lunch and a winters worth of inactivity - my motivation was fading fast. I managed to get the raised bed finished, DH brought out the shavings and manure from cleaning the chicken coop today, and I started digging out the walkways. Warmer weather or several more sunny days will be necessary to complete the dirt moving. At 4:00 p.m. I called it a day, cleaning up the tools, dusting off the newly installed bi-fold door counter and telling the outdoor kitty that she couldn't spend all night out here but I would let her stay for now.
Most of the pots and planters are stowed under the counters, although I am told there are more in the garage. The ground remains frozen, but sun in the forecast for this week should provide a little more thawing to clean out the walkways. A raised bed is planned for the middle of the greenhouse, but dead batteries stopped those plans in their tracks. The batteries are almost eight years old and hardly hold a charge any longer - one more thing to add to the list. The State of Vermont is kind enough to give us town meeting day as a holiday. After I go vote, I will be back at the farm attempting to make some more progress outside.
It has come a long way from where we started last spring.