Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sleep escapes me

When I came home from work, very early this morning, I knew that sleep would escape me for several hours to come.  I sat in my big comfy chair with a book from the library hoping that sleep would soon follow.  Farm City by Novella Carpenter proved to be far too interesting.  With each chapter I found myself thinking of new farm projects and several phone calls we received this week from folks wanting more rabbits than we can provide at this juncture.

2:15 a.m. and sleep still escaping me, I put down my book and stepped outside.  The only noises were the rustling of the wind through the too tall grass desperately requiring attention from the lawn mower which was only repaired minutes before leaving for my off farm job, and the peeping of the frogs.  The smell of moist, freshly turned earth from the garden and the farmer down the road who will plant corn in the meadow in front of the house filled the air.

On this quiet, warm, spring morning while most everyone slumbers, I soak in the sounds and smells of life waiting to spring forth from the ponds and pastures.  Have I mentioned lately how lucky I am to be able to live this life, on this farm in northwestern, VT.

No comments:

Post a Comment