Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

More on the rabbits

I hardly ever get my hair cut, but recently I went to the hairdresser.  I treated myself to a desperately needed haircut and some nice warm highlights to perk up my appearance and perhaps distract onlookers from the growing bags under my eyes.  Through the progress of the conversation we covered many of the activities which are occurring on the farm and the direction in which I hope the farm will go.  "There is a man just up the road who used to raise rabbits who is looking to sell some of his cages."  Wonderful, I made a phone call.

This extremely helpful man and I discussed raising rabbits for the kitchen table and for profit.  Arrangement of cages, cost of feed, hay, pine shavings, etc.  As this exchange neared its end he thought out loud, "You know, I think I know someone who is looking to sell their breeding stock."  The following day my phone rang.

Jennifer and I talked for a little while about New Zealands and Californians, bucks, does and kits, fryers and the next generation.  A short time later arrangements were made to transfer ownership of four does, two bucks, some 4lb meat rabbits and several kits.

This week will be a busy one.  Later this morning, after we say goodbye to visiting family, we are headed two towns over to look at cages.  From there we will stop at the lumber yard to pick up or perhaps arrange delivery of the lumber for the shed which will house the rabbits.  Feed, hay and shavings will be acquired in my travels to and from my off farm job this week.  Evenings this week will be spent assembling cages, housing and daylight and energy permitting work on the new shed.  Saturday, the new venture truly begins when we pick up the furry critters.

Oh, did I mention that it is sugaring season?  Somewhere in there we need to carve out some time to boil sap.  Spring is never boring on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment