Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Its a good kind of sore all over

As a new farmer, sometimes I look like a comedy of errors while attempting to transport livestock.  Chickens have been transported to this farm in cardboard boxes, cat carriers, plastic storage tubs (one with holes in the sides, I am not that mean), and even a live animal trap when something else wasn't handy.  Saturday morning we went and picked up the rabbits.  This couple must have thought I was off my rocker as I toted three cat carriers and an old ferret cage into the barn.  After a few minutes I realized that I didn't have sufficient carrying capacity for the number of rabbits we were purchasing.  We borrowed two cages, both used specifically for the purpose of transporting rabbits, to carry our new charges the ten short miles back to our farm.  With some careful packing all of the carriers fit into the back of our large SUV without having to remove our son and his car seat.

Back at the farm, all of the rabbits were removed from their various carriers and put into cages on the garage floor.  I had every intention of building the racks for the cages the night before, but between overtime at my off-farm job and being overtired, the wood lay in the same pile DH made when he disassembled the pallets.  All fed and watered and son fed and resting, I started in constructing racks for the cages from salvaged wood.  Son woke up and needed clean britches, DH needed assistance facilitating the eviction of a family of mice which took up residence near the garage and we still hadn't picked up the pine shavings for under the cages.  Quick trip to the farm store for supplies, it was now pushing three o'clock in the afternoon.  Back outside to work on the racks some more - the dizziness washed over me like a tidal wave.  When I get busy I forget to eat.  When I forget to eat I get low blood sugar.  When I get low blood sugar I can't concentrate on walking let alone attempting to use a power tool.  Inside to get some food.  Oh did I mention that we were supposed to boil sap this weekend...

My stomach filled, son sleeping and mice evicted, DH and I set to work on getting the racks built.  By late afternoon we had racks for two double cages completed and managed a short-term solution for the other two double cages so that they could be raised off the concrete floor.  Sunday morning brought about a mild stiffness in the back and getting started was a little slow; nothing that a warm cup of coffee and some cuddle time in the chair with my three-month old didn't cure.  We started early on the next rack and lit the fire to boil sap.  A poorly attended boil ensued and we managed to process a meager ten gallons of sap.  The second rack for two double cages was completed fairly early in the afternoon.  All the bunnies were settled, fed, watered and pine shavings spread.  We sat back enjoying a cold adult beverage in the unseasonably warm weather for March and discussed how crowded some of the eight week old rabbits looked.  Perhaps we should consider a third set of double cages? 

Monday morning my back screamed as I rolled out of bed, my leg muscles argued with every movement and my shoulders were telling me that they were pretty displeased with my sudden increase in physical labor over the past couple of days.  Some over-the-counter pain relievers were washed down with the morning coffee and off we went to the lumber yard.  On the agenda was lumber for one more rack of double rabbit cages (the remaining wood from the salvaged pallets would not support the weight of two double cages) and an estimate for the lumber to build the shed which would house our new furry creatures.  The estimate for the shed far exceeded our budget; we returned home with only the 2x4s for the racks.  With only a few minor interruptions we were able to get the rack completed.  Rabbits were examined and separate by sex to avoid any unexpected litters of kits.  Then we were able to focus our efforts on boiling sap.

Fifteen more gallons of sap were reduced to just under two gallons of almost syrup before darkness and grumbling tummies forced us inside for the evening.  When all was said and done over the long weekend, we made homes for 36 rabbits, we came really close to 3/4 of a gallon of finished maple syrup and we were able to spend some great family time together.  By 8:30 p.m. Monday night every muscle in my back, shoulders, legs, hands, etc. were reminding me that I had spent 23 weeks on bed rest and that I was completely out of shape.  But it was a good kind of sore, the kind that reminds you you are still alive.

Tuesday night, I got a phone call about some more rabbits...

No comments:

Post a Comment